Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Objektophilie, Otaku, & Biophilia


Funny how life works. Only a couple days after I posted ad nauseam about Objektophilie, I learn that a Japanese fellow, known as SAL9000, married an avatar.

The Telegrapher tells the tale of how the gamer came to marry his sweetheart.

Googling this story led me to a tale in the New York Times about Nisan, another Japanese fellow, who married a pillow case. The story noted that:

"Nisan is part of a thriving subculture of men and women in Japan who indulge in real relationships with imaginary characters. These 2-D lovers, as they are called, are a subset of otaku culture— the obsessive fandom that has surrounded anime, manga and video games in Japan in the last decade. It’s impossible to say exactly what portion of otaku are 2-D lovers, because the distinction between the two can be blurry."

Let me be clear: I think that Nisan and SAL9000 are engaging in activities that are fundamentally different from objectophilia. But they are blurring some lines, and the "fundamental" bit of the difference between objectophilia and biophilia is, I think, becoming fuzzy.

If Japan is the future, it's clear where we're headed. Once robots look, act, and f^ck like people, will there still be words for objectophilism and otaku?

1 comment:

  1. Years ago Apocalypse Culture II made me aware of Real Dolls The one you'll see at this link is uncanny. Would this qualify as OS? The OS stuff seems more tender and about something other than "sex" per se. The Real Doll?

    My wife thinks the Real Doll phenomenon is linked to necrophilia. I actually see her point.

    Another YouTube video to the rescue. I haven't seen it yet but imagine one will find evidence to support the theory of both objecto- and necro- philia.

    "....the difference between objectophilia and biophilia is, I think, becoming fuzzy."

    Agreed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Need to add an image? Use this code: [ximg]IMAGE-URL-HERE[x/img]. You will need to remove the the boldface x's from the code to make it work.